May 3, 2011

Elections, voting and popcorn

Finally after nearly 30 years of my life, I get to finally cast a vote on Voting Day. Where am I? I'm right smack in the hotseat of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC where for the first time in my life I'm not experiencing a boring walkover. Finally there's someone who is competent enough to raise and pique any interest from the people here. Finally there can be some change. Understandably, I know who I will vote for, with Obama in mind. Change is good.

It doesn't matter what our dear Lao Lee said about people regretting their votes. I mean, what's there to regret? My estate already had its upgrading. What, you gonna take them down? I don't think so. Instead, what will probably happen is that my vote may very well take the ruling party out. Cos I can.

I think it's just plain narrow-minded of Lao Lee to say all those biting words, especially in this age and time. Most of us are not coolie workers. Most of us are not fishermen. Most of us are not simple peasants. We citizens work and earn income and pay taxes and pay ERP and whatnots. The nation and government depends on us now. The people are your only means of sustenance. On this small island, with only granite and a little stone here and there as our only natural resources, I really do feel suppressed if the government are putting things in that very kind of perspective where I find myself with no other choice but to take up their flag and wave it unwillingly, only to know that my ricebowl is safe and peace be with me.

Nope, I'm not that kind of person. I like change. White is boring. Show me some colours. On my side, I can carve myself a bigger ricebowl, don't worry about that, I'm a very evolved caveman. On the other hand, I also have the need to look up to a higher order that actually works, by means of making a better place to live in, by making its people a priority, by truly safeguarding its assets and security, and not by means of suppressants and threats and hidden-words-crouching-whiteass situations.

Whoever is reading this, vote for what works. Whoever it may be, they have the next 5 years to prove it. For me, I'm just giving others to prove themselves too.

No comments: